Notifications
Clear all

Well we have to start somewhere...

Page 1 / 2

diogenese19348_q82t264s
(@diogenese19348_q82t264s)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Just a general purpose topic to get us started. I can't do everything at once šŸ˜‰

A child of 5 could understand this. Someone go fetch a child of 5

diogenese19348_q82t264s
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Some items that are going to need to be done aside from coding: Documentation, configuration of elements, moderation, maintaining finances and reporting (when we get that far), contest maintenance (again, when we get that far) and suggestions for what else ought to be on this list

ReplyQuote
DebbieJo
(@debbiejo)
Member Admin

Yes we do. Anything you need at the moment? Are you using Buddypress?

ReplyQuote
diogenese19348_q82t264s
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Yes, would you like me to elevate you to admin so you can use the back end?

ReplyQuote
DebbieJo
(@debbiejo)
Member Admin

Sure, I would love to help.

ReplyQuote
diogenese19348_q82t264s
Member Admin
Topic starter  

OK, you are an admin, you should be able to see the backend, and have the other settings across the top. If they aren't there, log out and log back in. And if that doesn't work, yell at me šŸ˜‰

The only things I'd prefer you not to do back there is add new plugins - let me know if you see any you think we need so I can check them out. Adding a new plugin that doesn't behave well will take down the site, and I'd like to be able to correct that quickly. It requires me being on the server.

Also if an option says "Back up the database first", it would probably be a good idea to let me do that before fooling with it. šŸ˜›

Two places that would probably be good to start: I have a plugin that allows us to add extra fields to the user profile. I added one, a picture, but take a look at that.

The other is I added one that allows us to do a lot of customization to the appearance of the forums, and that would probably be a really good place to start.

ReplyQuote
Varik
(@varik)
Member Admin

My coding skills are too limited for me to be much help there, but I'm happy to be involved with moderation, maintenance, creating bling (when we get there), and anything else I can assist with.

ReplyQuote
diogenese19348_q82t264s
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Varik is here from Daggerbay which brings up a question: should we all introduce ourselves? And do we want to use our real names? Over at Daggerbay there were a couple who didn't want to do that, so generally we called each other by whatever we named ourselves on the site.

ReplyQuote
Varik
(@varik)
Member Admin

My name is Malcolm Brown. On Dagger Bay I am known as bajazet, but most who know me call me Malcolm. Here I decided to use the name of Varik, a character I created for a series of comic strips, and I am quite happy with either that or my real name. I've been involved as a moderator on Dagger Bay since its beginning and before that on Worth1000. I'm happy to help out here in any way I can.

ReplyQuote
diogenese19348_q82t264s
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I'm Brian Riley, I'm generally referred to as Dio after one of my two main characters Dio and Flagon. I moderate on Daggerbay, Admin on ShmoozeZone, and maintain websites and Facebook pages for a day job šŸ˜‰ You can call me Brian, I prefer Dio online. It's just a preference, not for privacy, because frankly I don't believe it exists. Hackers in Russia probably know more about me than my mother does.

ReplyQuote
Mickey
(@mickey2bagz)

Hi, I'm Mick from DaggerBay. In order to help avoid confusion I decided to use 'mickey2bagz' the same tag I used on DaggerBay and previously on 'Worth1k'. Although to be fair the tag itself has already caused a fair measure of confusion. I used to develop my own film but I've never developed a website ... give me a mop for the time being, I'll do my best to learn as I go along.

ReplyQuote
diogenese19348_q82t264s
Member Admin
Topic starter  

What's this "film" thing I keep hearing about? šŸ˜› Seriously, every time I think about things that seemed so common place to us that don't actually exist anymore to the point that people born in the last 30 years have to go to the Internet to find out what the hell we are talking about...

ReplyQuote
Mickey
(@mickey2bagz)

My missus still refers to any music recording as a 'tape'

Changed my visible name to Sloth for the time being. Although it was a spontaneous choice I'm already warming to it.

ReplyQuote
diogenese19348_q82t264s
Member Admin
Topic starter  

What does everybody think about the changes today? Iā€™d like to get some feedback before committing to buying the plugin that does it.

ReplyQuote
Varik
(@varik)
Member Admin

I like most of what they have done, particularly to the Profile and individual things. My only reservation is about the Members page. With each member having so much space it's going to get very big indeed as membership grows. I preferred the more concise layout like that on on the Friends page.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: