last updated by Dio 4 weeks, 1 day ago
7 voices
47 replies
  • Author
    Dio
    Keymaster

What’s new and what’s getting worked on.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Dio
    Keymaster

OK, hopefully we have a place to start discussing things as the site gets built

Dio
    Keymaster

I’m going to be looking around for a better theme for the site, this is just an out of the box basic one. For one I’d like one that allows you go go full screen in places. This one has gutters (the areas on the side that squish everything to the center). Those are good if you want to use side widgets, but aren’t particularly good with mobile devices.

Flagon’s Workshop
    Participant

*cough* isn’t this the same thing as “Announcements?”

Nahi
    Participant

I think so but”cough”I’m on stand by mode and waiting.

Dio
    Keymaster

It sounds like a better idea if you do it twice :P

Dio
    Keymaster

It looks like I can add polls to forum topics and uploading pictures to forum posts. Do either of those sound interesting?

Viccles
    Participant

Yes, I think those both sound like a good idea.

Dio
    Keymaster

I finished days of coding and/or added a plugin and you now have a homepage. On the odd chance it’s a plugin it’s called “Youzer”.

Got a lot of configuration to look at with it. In any case, you now have a pretty looking home page to look at.

MsgtBob
    Participant

The “homepage” looks really weird (if I found the right page), because it keeps the renderunto picture above the picture you add. Yeah, I guess it’s a work in progress. Also, is the profile picture going to (eventually) run GIFs?

Dio
    Keymaster

The site header is probably going to be there, it will probably depend on the theme, and we haven’t picked a final one out yet, but I’ll keep that in mind.

Animated GIFs is something people have asked for, I’ll look into that too. Unless it is a quick fix though it’s going to be sitting behind a whole lot of stuff I need to get to first.

Mickey
    Participant

Oddly enough Bob, I uploaded a .gif profile pic and it worked in profile view when uploaded but not in page view. Probably just needs a tweak.

Dio
    Keymaster

OK, Olympus Theme is installed along with Youzer and all the other recommended plugins. What comes next is a heck of a lot of tweeking.

Dio
    Keymaster

One whole boatload of tweaking. Sheesh. Anyway, we are on our way.

Dio
    Keymaster

Animated GIFS: I looked it up, the problem is wordpress automatically resizes all pictures, even ones that are already the correct size, This resizing destroys gifs since it only resizes the full frame. The answer is, with code modification I can fix the problem, I’ll add it to the list, the list as you can imagine is lengthy. So yes, eventually you will be able to use animated gifs as avatars. You will need to upload them in the recommended size since they can’t be cropped. I’ll have to set it so it will not load unless it is the correct size. I imagine Shmoozezone has the same issue for the same reason. Most CMS sites will resize photos so they fit the formatting. and don’t overload the page with 6 mb+ sized pictures.

This article describes the problem if you were interested in reading more about it:

Solved: GIF not Animating in WordPress – Posts and Featured Images

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Dio.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login/create account here